Saturday, December 8, 2012

Why Hello There...

I want to have a blog.

I mean, I've had blogs before.  My first blog was mostly pictures.  I spent four months in the Galapagos Islands, so pictures were easy.


(not mine, but you get the idea)

When I got back, my life was kind of boring compared to that.  I was back in classes, then working, then going to law school.  I guess my parents cared what I was doing, but how many posts could I write about how HARD torts was?  (It was hard, but the only people that care about how hard law school is are other law students.  And they don't want to read it on a blog, they want to hear about it over drinks.)

But I got through law school, and even got a job.  I got married around the same time, and we set out for Washington DC together.  Another great opportunity for a blog, right?  I was finally going to get serious about losing weight.  Whining about law school over drinks may be good for the soul, but it's not that great for your waistline.  Neither is being a newlywed with the threat of everyone seeing you in a white dress removed from your motivation. 

About a year after the wedding, I rejoined Weight Watchers.  Matt and I also decided to be vegetarian.  Well, Matt decided, and because he does most of the shopping and cooking, I went along with it.  We were totally changing the way we thought about food, and I wanted to document it.   So we set up "Things We Ate" and registered the blogger address thingsweate.blogspot.com.  We kept it going for a while.  Then someone pointed out to me that if you move the spaces in our web address, you got "Thing Sweat E."  It's stupid, I know, but I couldn't unsee that.  So I let the blog kind of fall by the wayside.

At the same time, we were going through another major change.  I had finished my fellowship in Washington DC and accepted a job in Sacramento, CA.  Matt and I were moving again (3rd time in 5 years for anyone counting).


I realized recently that I miss having a blog. I miss having a place to talk about all the great food Matt and I are eating.  And my weight loss.  And our lives.  We're buying a house on Monday.  I want a place to write about all the exciting things we're going to do in that house.  (Well, not *all* of them.  I promised blogger this didn't have adult content.)

When I was sitting on a beach in Ecuador, I didn't know where my life was going to take me.  I was pretty sure I was going to law school, and almost as sure I'd be an environmental lawyer.  And I hoped I'd be with Matt.  But I had no idea what the details would be.  The details are the interesting part.

No comments:

Post a Comment