Sunday, March 24, 2013

Some Random Thoughts

A few things that came to me during my 4 mile run today...

1. Running outside is about 1000000000% better than running on a treadmill.

2. The fact that it's perfect weather for running outside makes me happy right now, but also makes me a little worried.  If it's this warm in March, what's July going to be like?  My guess is somewhere between unbearable and Hades.

This is why the rest of the country hates Californians.  Because while you're all getting snowed on, I'm complaining about this.

3. To all the people that told me about the Galloway method, YOU'RE RIGHT!  I'm kind of lazy, so you'd think that I'd hear that you can walk, and be all over that, but for some reason I fought it.  But I used the run/walk intervals today and shaved almost a full minute off my pace.  Plus I didn't feel like dying at the end.

4. On that note, I realized that if I'm ever feeling kind of crappy, and wondering if a run will make me feel better, 9 out of 10 times, the answer is a resounding YES!

How I felt before my run

I tried to find a picture of my cats acting like how I felt after my run, but they're pretty lazy (lazier than me) so they looked just about the same.  But I promise I have a lot of energy right now!

5. People that walk on the wrong side of the street are annoying.  Bikers that bike on the sidewalk when there is a nice, wide, clear bike lane, and then don't yield to runners are much, much more annoying.

6. Now that I have a smart phone, I need to build a good running station on Pandora.  I found one called "Running Music Radio" that worked, but I don't love it.  I like KT Tunstall, and pop similar to that (steady beat but not too fast), but those stations have too much Norah Jones mixed in, and I don't want to be fussing with my phone while running.  So any suggestions?

7. To all the people that suggested a Heart Rate Monitor to calculate calories burned, you were also right.  Based on what I burned today, I've probably been overestimating calories burned, which may explain my weight loss plateau and my feelings on Thursday.  You mean I can't just out exercise a bad diet?  I really wish it worked that way, but turns out it doesn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment